Social Media has become a standard channel of communication for consumers. In the past few years, it has gained significant growth as a legit media outlet and has begun to eclipse some out-of-date outlets like TV as a more desirable channel for getting media content into viewer’s consciousness. Here are some heady social media facts you will want to be aware of as you are considering your online marketing strategy.
1. Globally, 46% of consumers with a digital device use social media to make informed purchases.
2. The top three social networks used by business to business marketers include Facebook, Twitter & LinkedIn.
Because of online marketing’s extensive reach on social media, and the predisposition most marketing professionals have towards brands on Facebook, they are 50% more likely than consumers to like a brand on this platform. When it comes to making purchases, they are 100% more likely to do so as the result of seeing something posted to Facebook.
3. 39 billion active monthly users as of December 31, 2014.
4. Every minute, 510 comments are posted, 293,000 statuses are updated, and 136,000 photos are uploaded.
5. On average, native videos on Facebook reach 2.04 times more people, getting 2.38 times more likes, 2.67 times more shares, and 7.43 times more comments.
6. Photos drive engagement on Facebook pages.
7. 45% of account holders become very paranoid if they cannot access Facebook.
8. 23% of users check their accounts at least 5 times per day.
9. Drives more referrals than any other social platform.
10. 316 million monthly users.
11. 500 million tweets sent per day.
12. 77% of active users are outside the U.S.
13. 88% of active users are on mobile devices.
14. 65% of users expect a response in less than two hours.
15. There are 1.5 million groups on LinkedIn.
16. 27% of users access LinkedIn through their mobile device.
17. Over 3 million company pages.
18. 50% of LinkedIn users have Bachelor or Graduate degrees.
19. 45% of B2B marketers have gained a customer through LinkedIn.
20. LinkedIn is adding, on average, two members per second.
21. Only 20% of LinkedIn users are under the age of 30
22. More than 16 billion photos already exist on the platform.
23. An average user has close to 40 photos.
24. ‘MTV’ is the most followed brand, with over 1.2 million followers.
25. 1,000 comments per second are posted.
26. More than 5 million photos are uploaded every day
27. 359 million monthly active users.
28. There are now over 1 billion Google+ accounts, and that figure is growing 33% per year.
29. The biggest age demographic for users is between 45 and 54 years of age.
30. 18% of marketers plan to increase efforts on Google+ this year.
31. More than 69% of users are female.
32. Only 6% have connected their Facebook account.
33. Food is the top category with 57% of users discussing food-related content.
34. 80% of total Pinterest pins are Repins.
35. “Nordstrom” is the most popular brand on Pinterest with more than 4.4 million followers.
36. Pinterest pins are worth 78 cents each.
While, according to Google, Social Media is not going to help increase your Search Engine rankings anytime soon (because it is NOT a direct Google ranking factor), it is well-known that Social Media is a primary driver of trust and authority in Google’s knowledge graph, and can help to drive trust and authority indirectly.
Is your Social Media growing your business? Get in touch with our friendly team for more information.